Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thankfulness

I'd just like to say how thankful I am for my friends. I remember reading a poem some years ago about the different seasons of your life and how friends can come and go. (Reason Season Lifetime by Brian Chalker) Whether that friend passed away, moved away or turned away from you, we learn something from these relationships. Some are fleeting and some are long lasting.
Yesterday, at my house, I reconnected with 2 of my dearest high school friends. After spending 2 fun hours together, I remembered all the reasons that I had picked these friends all those years ago. I am so blessed to have these long lasting friendships! The kind that time does not disturb.

My view on friendship has truly changed with each stage of my life. I spent this morning talking on the phone with another dear friend of mine. We were discussing our children's difficulties with their own friendships. 5th grade can be very trying, can't it?!

We all go through times of difficulties and hurt within our friendships. First of all, remember that God is our constant friend so we are never alone! Secondly, if you desire "human" friends, then be prepared that You Will Be Let Down at some point. And yet, we still gain something from those losses. Strength and understanding.

So for my kids...
To have a friend you must be a friend. Loyalty, kindness and generosity will attract the right kind of friends!!

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you.

3 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Great advice for our kids. Nice picture of you all too. So pretty!

Cathy said...

What a great post, and great advice! I had my 20th class reunion last summer, and had the chance to reconnect with many friends I had not seen in years. In some respects, it was like we were still in high school!

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

You all look great in that picture...and I love the advice on friendship...good notes!!!