Thursday, August 28, 2008

39 years ago...

I was born! Damn, that seems like a long time. Not compared to 50 or 75, but what the heck. I've never been older than this so it's feeling kind of OLD.

It's 4:45 am. I got up extra early to write this post. I figured, if you are reading this today, 8/28, then you still have time to shop for a birthday present, or come by and see me, call me or at least send me some schmaltzy Internet card. Actually, I'm up this early because in a few minutes I have to drive Cole to church for his last fling of the summer. He's going to a camp called Snowbird for some fun, crazy, outdoor adventures. Once again, I'm staying home. No far away travels for this old gal!

Next topic, remember the other day I was complaining that nothing exciting has happened around here since the Great Horned Owl? Well... I spoke too soon.

This week, Cole and I witnessed an attempted break-in at my next door neighbor's house! Yes people! My safe little haven. Our cozy little neighborhood. Nothing like this has ever happened on my block! I won't go into the details, but it all started while Cole was waiting for a friend to pick him up. This was at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, broad daylight. He had been watching out the window, when he noticed a suspicious car back into our neighbor's drive way. 3 young men in the car. He woke me from a little nap that Glynis and I were having on the sofa. We both watched the vehicle speed off after 2 of the young men came from around the back of the house. Immediately I called my neighbor, who was at work, to inquire if they knew these guys. Bottom line...This was for real. The police were called and took a report. Apparently the assailants (whoa, I got to use the word "assailants!") tried to pry open their back door and a window. Lucky for everyone they did not succeed. The unlucky part is that neither Cole or I could get the license plate number on the car, although we tried.

Here's what we learned from the friendly officer who took the report: Let's all be a little more aware of our safety. Keep your doors locked. Check around your house. Exchange phone numbers with your neighbors and watch out for each other. Get an alarm or at least a sign that says you have one. If you see something suspicious, call the police!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!