Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day by Day

Well it's been ages since I've written and I'm not going to write much now either. I've been riding this dismal cancer carnival ride along with my step-dad and the rest of our exhausted family.
Here's the time line, thus far, of Tom's cancer story:

July 10 - Diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer, followed by ct of brain, and a bone scan, both came back clear

August 4 - 1st chemo treatment

August 9 - severe reaction to chemo and is taken by ambulance to hospital, spent 12 days there several of which he was in a coma-like state. kidneys failing, no food, infection etc.

August 20 - strong enough to go to rehab, still on oxygen, but eating normal and getting stronger

August 31 - looking forward to going home in 2 days, but severe breathing problems occur abruptly and he is taken again to the emergency room. ventilator is needed., new ct scan of chest reveals that cancer is worse and has now invaded his bones (note that there was no sign of bone cancer just a month earlier)

Today - Sept. 2 - ventilator is removed and he is breathing on his own with hopes of coming home in another day or two. hospice will be called to help


This is just a brief description of what we've endured in just a short time. I can't express right now, all the emotional turmoil that has gone along with each new crisis. It's a roller coaster that I hope I never ride again! Cancer is a vile thing!!


Yet, we continue to praise God and to rest assured that His plan has a purpose. Here's a picture from Sunday. Tom is joyful even through the storm. What a lesson he teaches us all!


7 comments:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I don't know you, but just wanted to say I said a prayer for you and your family.

Unknown said...

I just started following your blog recently...just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your family...

He & Me + 3 said...

Leah,

I was just thinking about you yesterday...I am so sorry that you all are going through this. I am praying for your family and for Tom. Beautiful picture...it speaks volumes.

jessicalflores1@aol.com said...

Leah,

I am so sorry that your family is going through all of this. I am saying prayers for your family. The previous poster is right, that is a beautiful picture.

Jessica

Unknown said...

I will pray for you and your family.

Beth E. said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your step-dad has been through such a terrible ordeal...your family, too!

Please know that I am praying...for your step-dad, and for your family.

Hoity Toity Baby said...

Leah ~ I know all too well what you and your family are going through. In 2004 my fiance's mother was diagnosed with stage 4Metastatic (sp?) Breast Cancer which was found not in her breasts but in both lungs which had been misdiagnosed for about a year as chronic bronchitis. She too fought as hard as she could for as long as she could. The cancer spread quickly to the bone, brain and eventually she succumbed to the disease shortly after our wedding.

I keep your family in our prayers and know that God's plan is the only plan.

Nicole